Faculty of Arts
Last Updated On Aug 30 2016 2:33PM
About Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts established in 1881 by H. H. Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of the erstwhile Baroda State, developed into a full-fledged degree institution in 1889.
The idea of establishing a Separate University� for Baroda was mooted first as early as 1927 by Sir Sayajirao himself. It came into existence on April 30, 1949, at the time of the merger of the Baroda State with the State of Bombay.
Necessary changes were incorporated into the constitution of the Baroda College with a view to establishing separate Faculties in the University. Thus, the Baroda College, one of the oldest Centres of learning in Western India, came to be known as The Faculty of Arts.
The Faculty of Arts is sanctified by the name of the seer and philosopher, Shri Aurobindo Ghosh, who had been appointed by Sir Sayajirao to teach English and also as the Vice-Principal of The Baroda College.